*Statistics compiled by SocialMediaNews.com.au for August 2015 and republished with express permission. Stats courtesy: Vivid Social Research Division. Figures correct as of 31 August 2015
Over the past couple months, social media growth in Australia has been fairly static across most networks. However we are still seeing Facebook and Instagram growing their userbase, and small niche apps coming along and gaining popularity.
It's quite incredible to note that MySpace still has more monthly users in Australia than Google+....a platform that has really struggled to gain any traction in Australia despite the popularity of many other Google products and apps.
Social Media Statistics Australia – August 2015
- Facebook – 14,000,000 users (steady)
- YouTube – 13,900,000 UAVs
- WordPress.com – 5,700,000
- Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
- Tumblr – 4,200,000
- LinkedIn – 3,600,000
- Twitter – 2,791,300 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- Blogspot – 2,700,000
- WhatsApp – 2,400,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- TripAdvisor – 2,150,000
- Snapchat – 2,000,000 approx Monthly Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- Tinder – 1,750,000 Australian users (my estimation)
- Yelp – 1,550,000
- Flickr – 630,000
- Pinterest – 320,000
- Reddit – 135,000
- MySpace – 85,000
- Google Plus – approx 55,000 monthly active Australian users (my estimation *revised*)
- StumbleUpon – 43,000
- Foursquare/Swarm – 22,000
- Digg – 16,000
- Delicious – 14,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Facebook in Australia
The global userbase of Facebook now stands at 1.49 billion monthly active users. In Australia we have 14 million monthly active users, or approx 0.93% of the total Facebook population, ie almost 1% of Facebook’s total audience in Australian.
Key Points to Note:
Most networks including Facebook and Instagram have seen no growth in the last month.
Yelp has seen a slight increase this month as people go on their midyear/ winter holidays and the Google+ estimation has been revised to 55,000 Australian monthly users.
Foursquare and Swarm have frequent app updates however only there is only a very small number of Australian users, majority of the audience is based in the US/ Europe, whilst Tinder has been revised to 1.75 million users.
Tier 2 and Tier 3 networks continue to lose a small amount of users every month.
Licensed under Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0.