* Statistics compiled by SocialMediaNews.com.au for September 2015. Stats courtesy: Vivid Social Research Division. Figures correct as of 30/09/15.
In the lead up to summer many users in Australia have a slight seasonal shift in the way they use social media.
The actual numbers of users isn’t varying much – as we have seen over the past year, growth has been fairly static and most smaller networks lose users over time. However at certain times of the year we see how social media consumption and usage increases or decreases for some users.
During school holiday and summer periods we see social media use increase for many users. Also new users are ‘encouraged’ to sign-up by family and friends. Business social networking may see a drop over this period or drop in user activity.
Social Media Statistics Australia – September 2015
- Facebook – 14,000,000 users (steady)
- YouTube – 13,900,000 UAVs
- WordPress.com – 5,750,000
- Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
- Tumblr – 4,250,000
- LinkedIn – 3,700,000
- Twitter – 2,800,000 Active Australian Users approx (see calculation)
- Blogspot – 2,650,000
- WhatsApp – 2,400,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- TripAdvisor – 2,100,000
- Snapchat – 2,000,000 approx Monthly Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- Tinder – 1,500,000 Australian users (my estimation)
- Yelp – 1,400,000
- Flickr – 630,000
- Pinterest – 320,000
- Reddit – 135,000
- MySpace – 87,000
- Google Plus – 60,000 monthly active Australian users approx (my estimation *revised*)
- StumbleUpon – 40,000
- Foursquare/Swarm – 21,000
- Digg – 15,000
- Delicious – 13,500
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Key Points to Note
We expect to see a update for Facebook soon. Occasionally their Australian office will give us an insight into Australian users. I think we will soon hear a figure of around 15 million+ Australians on Facebook.
Travel related sites with social networking functionality – TripAdvisor and Yelp should seen an increase over the summer months.