*Statistics compiled by SocialMediaNews.com.au for July 2015 and republished with express permission. Stats courtesy: Vivid Social Research Division. Figures correct as of 31 July 2015
Whilst social media growth in Australia has slowed up considerably over the last year, it is worth nothing that around the world and in developing countries many new people are signing up to social networking services, particularly Facebook.
Earlier in the month Facebook reported that they now have 1.49 billion monthly active users, an increase of 50 million users since April.
Social Media Statistics Australia – July 2015
- Facebook – 14,000,000 users (steady)
- YouTube – 13,850,000 UAVs
- WordPress.com – 5,650,000
- Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
- Tumblr – 4,300,000
- LinkedIn – 3,660,000
- Blogspot – 2,700,000
- Twitter – 2,791,300 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- WhatsApp – 2,400,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- TripAdvisor – 2,150,000
- Snapchat – 2,000,000 approx Monthly Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- Tinder – 1,500,000 Australian users (my estimation)
- Yelp – 1,500,000
- Flickr – 640,000
- Pinterest – 320,000
- Reddit – 140,000
- MySpace – 90,000
- Google Plus – approx 60,000 monthly active Australian users (my estimation *revised*)
- StumbleUpon – 45,000
- Foursquare/Swarm – 23,000
- Digg – 17,000
- Delicious – 14,500
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Facebook in Australia
The global userbase of Facebook now stands at 1.49 billion monthly active users. In Australia we have 14 million monthly active users, or approx 0.93% of the total Facebook population.
Key Points to Note:
It's not unusual for most smaller networks see slight drop of users over time. Larger networks, for example business networks, see fluctuations over the year as networks like LinkedIn have busy and quiet periods. Facebook is still reporting decent growth worldwide
Licensed under Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0.