*Statistics compiled by SocialMediaNews.com.au for May 2015.
Stats courtesy: Vivid Social Research Division. Figures correct as of 31/05/15.
According to socialmedianews.com.au, social media growth in Australia is slowing down as the networks are established and many users are set in their ways.
However there has been a standout performer in Australia which is still experiencing significant growth – Instagram. Facebook have recently confirmed that Instagram now has 5 million monthly active users in Australia, which is very strong growth compared to the other social networks.
Social Media Statistics Australia – May 2015
- Facebook – 14,000,000 users (steady)
- YouTube – 13,750,000 UAVs
- WordPress.com – 5,800,000
- Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (Facebook/ Instagram data)
- Tumblr – 4,500,000
- LinkedIn – 3,550,000
- Blogspot – 2,800,000
- Twitter – 2,791,300 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- WhatsApp – 2,400,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation)
- TripAdvisor – 2,100,000
- Tinder – 1,500,000 Australian users (my estimation)
- Yelp – 1,500,000
- Snapchat - 1,070,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation).
- Flickr – 660,000
- Pinterest – 330,000
- Reddit – 150,000
- MySpace – 105,000
- Google Plus – approx 60,000 monthly active Australian users (my estimation *revised*)
- StumbleUpon – 48,000
- Foursquare/Swarm – 25,000
- Digg – 18,000
- Delicious – 16,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above).
Key Points to Note:
Instagram has seen 32% growth in Australia over the past 2 months, now serving 5 million monthly Australian users.
Most social networks in the top 10 are retaining their user base. Smaller tier 2 and tier 3 networks slowly lose users over time as people concentrate their time on the main social networks.
There is still room for growth in Australia and we do have an appetite for new apps. Snapchat has had a consistent 1 million + users every month. Over the last year Tinder has gone from virtually no users in Australia to 1.5 million +.
Blogging is still a popular medium as WordPress and Tumblr consistently attract a significant audience every month. New users are signing up particularly students and business professionals looking for a basic/ free websites to collate their material.